[AlaskaRC] FAA looking at possibly regulating model aircraft

Tom Simes president at alaskarc.org
Wed May 13 10:24:39 AKDT 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009 10:02:07 -0800
Marty Hall <mjhall at alaskarcs.com> wrote:

> The last time this came up it was because of a model scaring a flight
> crew of a 727 going into JFK. The FAA at that time told the AMA they
> had the power to regulate RC but chose not to at that time because of
> the problems associated in attempting to, but if "we" didn't clean up
> our act, they would. That's the root of certain AMA safety rules
> concerning flying near airports, etc. In those days there was no
> where near the number of UAV's flying as there is today, and the
> FAA's problem today has changed. It would be difficult for them (the
> FAA) to tell one group (the military) flying an "RC" of one type with
> a 3 foot wing span that there was strict rules to comply with, and
> tell the other group (us) with a like size "RC" there's no
> regulation. We DO need to watch this.

>From what I've read, you're exactly right Marty.  The increase in
military UAV use is the catalyst here.  These UAVs have been operated
successfully in theatre for years now and the military would like to
bring some of their capabilities into the US airspace system.  The
challenge is getting the UAV operators and the FAA to mesh - and
unfortunately the models we fly are bing caught up in the dragnet.

Here's some good background info:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/16/ntsb.unmanned.vehicles/index.html

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=6287

--
Tom

       |  ,  |               Tom Simes - President
---------(@)---------        Alaska Radio Control Society
        --|--                AMA Chartered Club #1998
          '                  president at alaskarc.org