[AlaskaRC] FAA looking at possibly regulating model aircraft

Tom Simes president at alaskarc.org
Wed May 13 13:16:46 AKDT 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:23:03 -0800
Patrick Martin <n411x at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, this is my first look at this NPRM, if it is a notice at
> all. From knowledge of how the FAA writes things, it always says you
> canNOT do anything unles, "A,B,C.. etc". So in my very quick initial
> look at this, it may appear that they are saying unless you operate
> under the guise and rules of the AMA, you may not fly turbines. There
> are some other little bits of language there that reek of massive
> regulation and red tape and unsustainable compliance that may threaten
> all civil model airplane activity. Don't be scared for turbines. No.
> Be scared for model aviation! We do not want any of this. We've seen
> before that rules generated, from people with ZERO experience in the
> area they try to regulate, lead to nothing but disfunctionality.
>
> I'd love to think the AMA is all over this. It seems they are in some
> ways, with their name plastered all over this. But I'm certainly

Well, I think Tony Stillman is a pretty straight shooter - I believe his
summary of the situation and I also believe that we'll know when we can
make our opinions known as part of the NPRM process.

--
Tom

       |  ,  |               Tom Simes - President
---------(@)---------        Alaska Radio Control Society
        --|--                AMA Chartered Club #1998
          '                  president at alaskarc.org