[AlaskaRC] Website

Tom Simes president at alaskarc.org
Tue Oct 13 09:31:17 AKDT 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:32:59 -0800
"Armand Marshall" <armand at nmitsolutions.com> wrote:

> As long as we are discussing the website.
>
> I recall that the (Tom's) original intent was to be able to distribute
> the maintenance of various sections of the website to other
> volunteers.  For instance, one person might take care of posting
> recent photos, another person might take care of the membership
> application page, another person might take care of a 'gliders'
> section, etc.
>
> Has that idea gone by the wayside?  Did it turn out that Joomla isn't
> suited to that type of administration?

Absolutely not, I just haven't been recruiting anyone because I wanted
to get over the hump of switching out the templates to one I consider
more standard and permanent and reorganizing the content that's up.

Editing articles in Joomla is no more complicated than operating a word
processor, however there is a brief learning curve in getting the
articles in the correct categories and such.  I know everyone has been
waiting for a long time for the website, please stay tuned a little
longer.  I'm often guilty of falling into the "perfection is the mortal
enemy of getting things done enough" trap and to some extent that's what
is going on with the web site.  However, I don't feel right about
teaching folks how to do things one way when I've got large changes
queued up that will make them re-learn what I'm teaching.

--
Tom

       |  ,  |               Tom Simes - President
---------(@)---------        Alaska Radio Control Society
        --|--                AMA Chartered Club #1998
          '                  president at alaskarc.org