[AlaskaRC] Update on a couple of past members

Steven Lingle barisax at olypen.com
Wed May 26 08:54:45 AKDT 2010

For those of you that have been members for several years I am sure you will remember Charlie Paska and Joe Ostrom.  Well they are both fighting cancers of different types.

First Joe Ostrom:  about a year and a half ago had prostate cancer.  The area of the prostate that was cancerous was too close to the bladder to implant a seed so they had to place a fleck of gold on the spot to have a spot to aim the xray.  The treatment was a success but he was not told that one of the side effects of this treatment could be Bladder cancer.  We Joe found out about a month ago that he now has stage three bladder cancer and is under going treatment which will continue for a month or so and then after three months they will re-examin him and determine the course of action from that point.  Joe is in very good spirits and is more concerned about making his yearly fishing trip to Canada than the cancer, even though the cancer is very serious.

Secondly is Charlie Paska:  Charlie has been through about all a person could take and is now in a fight for his life against the same brain cancer that took Ted Kennedy.  Charlie is very weak and is on chemo (sp) for the rest of his life.  He taking the pills for the chemo as well as the heart and all the other aliments he is fighting.  I spoke with Charlie this morning and he does not sound like himself.  He is getting ready to move back to Montana and will remain there for the remainder of his time.  Being too weak to travel back and forth.  His prognosis is not good, probably only about 24 or 30 months.

That's about it.  If you have their emails or phone numbers I am sure they would like to hear from you.  All of us that have left Alaska have very fond memories of our days at the ARCS fields and we feel that the ARCS is the best flying club any person could ever be a member of.

Take care and have a wonderful flying season.

Steven Lingle
barisax at olypen.com