[AlaskaRC] FW: U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein responding to your message

Don Meierhoff meierhoff at gci.net
Sat Apr 23 15:28:59 AKDT 2011

Subject: U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein responding to your message

 <http://feinstein.senate.gov/>

Dear Mr. Meierhoff:

I received your letter opposing a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
regulation that would impose new restrictions on model aircraft operations.
I appreciate the time you took to write and welcome the opportunity to
respond.

Model aircraft serve many purposes, from recreational use among enthusiasts
to important aeronautics research at universities. I have heard from
thousands of model aircraft enthusiasts who share your concerns that new
regulations will create unnecessary and burdensome restrictions on
recreational model aviation.

On February 17, 2011, I supported an amendment offered by Senator James
Inhofe (R-OK) to the "FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety
Improvement Act" (S. 223), that would exclude model aircraft from FAA rules
or regulations the plane such meets the following criteria:

o   It is flown strictly for recreational, sport, competition, or academic
purposes;

o   A community-based set of safety guidelines are observed when operating
the aircraft;

o   It is unmanned; and

o   It does not exceed 55 pounds in weight unless otherwise certified
through a community-based safety program.

This amendment was agreed to by unanimous consent in the Senate, and S. 223
was passed on February 17, 2011. A similar bill was passed by the House of
Representatives, but it did not include the model aircraft provision. The
two bills must be reconciled in conference before the President can sign in
into law. I appreciate hearing your support for model aviation, and I will
be sure to keep your comments in mind as Congress considers the FAA
reauthorization.

Once again, thank you for writing. If you have any further questions or
comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at
(202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

  Dianne Feinstein
          United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and
the Nation are available at my website, Feinstein.senate.gov
<http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/> .  You can also receive electronic
e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list. Click here to sign up.
<http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ENewsletterSignup.S
ignup>   Feel free to checkout my YouTube Page.
<http://www.youtube.com/Senatorfeinstein>