[AlaskaRC] AMA - Unmanned Aerial Systems

Steve Colligan scolligan at e-terra.com
Mon Oct 28 20:12:33 AKDT 2013

Dear Alaska RC enthusiasts,  for the past several years I have been helping
AMA in their efforts to fight off the FAA proposed rule making.  While most
of the concern has been over unmanned FPV (First Person View) and
Autonomous Systems, there has been much effort to push back and not have
these efforts and regulations directly impact what has been historically
considered traditional RC and modeling activity.

The past Six months I have been involved with the AMA at the state level in
Juneau doing the same as our state legislators were considering more
meaningless legislation.  To thwart off fear mongering and other dramatic
activities, a Alaska Task force was formed.  I am confident that as we
continue through the process it will be found that there are already
sufficient laws on the books to cover UAS and model aviation.  Our report
is due to the legislature January 15th.

During this same time period AMA formed a sUAS advisory board.  This
advisory board is made up of about 10 people from across the US covering a
wide cross section of industry and expertise.  Long story short AMA is
extending their interest group to cover FPV and sUAS craft and will be
including it in all of its media and education efforts.  Below is a link to
a message from Bob Brown AMA president.  The start of this is a general
message from AMA president announcing the roll out sUAS activities within
AMA.  There will be many more of these to come, with specific content and a
web portal to follow.  These are meant to be played at club meetings to
start rolling AMA new content and exciting materials especially with it new
electronic version of the Model Aviation Magazine.

Please show this at your next meeting and share with others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSzeGQIVUdk&feature=youtu.be

I will forward more as they roll out.

Thanks,

Steve Colligan