[AlaskaRC] AMA Partners With the Alaska Legislature in Developing UAS Programs and Policies

Doug Franklin drfranklin at gci.net
Sun Jan 26 11:08:22 AKST 2014

Go Steve Colligan! Anybody know how to get a copy of the report?

http://www.suasnews.com/2014/01/27092/ama-partners-with-the-alaska-legislatu
re-in-developing-uas-programs-and-policies/

Text below:

AMA is pleased to announce the successful partnership and cooperation with
the State of Alaska Legislature to address the oversight of unmanned
aircraft systems (UAS) through release of an official interim report.

The Academy, represented by Alaska resident and local elected official,
Steve Colligan, joined the legislative task force in early 2013 to provide
safe flying guidelines and insight used by the AMA since its inception in
1936. The Legislative Task Force on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) was
formed under House Concurrent Resolution No. 6 to review regulations and
guidance regarding UAS, and provide recommendations for a comprehensive
state policy for unmanned aircraft. The task force is composed of a state
senator, a state legislator, national and international experts in UAS, and
representatives of the general aviation community, the University of
Alaska-Unmanned Aircraft Systems Program, and the Academy of Model
Aeronautics. The new report defines best practices for UAS, including safe
practices to protect Alaskan residents, protection of personal privacy
rights, and future requirements for safe UAS operations.

"The state of Alaska's proactive and visionary approach to UAS operations
has already shown what can happen when everyone works together and all
concerns are addressed, from privacy, to public safety, research
opportunities, and airspace concerns with a planned and measured test
program from the FAA," said Rich Hanson, AMA's director of public relations
and government affairs. "This is truly in the spirit and partnership that
AMA is all about."

The Academy of Model Aeronautics, a congressionally recognized
community-based organization, has continuously worked with legislators at
the state and federal levels to protect model aviation from onerous
restrictions that would impact a hobby devoted to safety, educational
pursuits, and camaraderie between members. "The Academy thanks each of the
Alaska team members and the legislature for taking such a methodical and
measured approach," said AMA President Bob Brown.

"I am pleased with the outcome of this task force. Through the public
process we reduced the proverbial hairball of issues down to the salient
points which were then reviewed against existing state laws and policies,"
Steve Colligan said.

"While addressing the public's concerns, we were also able to address
positive aspects of the technology, research, and commercial operations of
the future. I believe that this is in line with AMA's core principles of
safety and responsible operations, which will create real opportunities for
the next generation. I also believe that this comprehensive and practical
approach to this new technology had a major influencing factor in University
of Alaska being selected as one of the six FAA test ranges. I am very proud
of AMA's national proactive efforts with UAS and first-person view rules and
look forward to helping out in the future," he added.

The AMA has served as the national organization for model aviation for more
than 77 years. During that time, the aeromodeling community has achieved an
excellent safety record through adherence to AMA's National Model Aircraft
Safety Code and its comprehensive safety program. The efficacy of AMA's
community-based safety program was acknowledged by Congress in the FAA
Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics has been the nation's collective voice for
approximately 164,000 modelers in 2,400 clubs in every state and Puerto Rico
since 1936. A nonprofit association headquartered in Muncie IN, AMA
sanctions more than 2,000 events and competitions each year under the
auspices of the National Aeronautic Association.