[AlaskaRC] "P-51D Mustang 1:96 8 Channels"

Steven Lingle barisax at olypen.com
Sun Jan 4 09:02:05 AKST 2015

Amazing!!!

James Smith <http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=QOd9-ZYGxo0&u=/channel/UCCctnDPULtiV7YChYhTCYZQ%3Ffeature%3Dem-share_video_user> has shared a video with you on YouTube

 <http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=QOd9-ZYGxo0&u=/watch%3Fv%3DJSgRTPGYEQA%26feature%3Dem-share_video_user>
P-51D Mustang 1:96 8 Channels
 <http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=QOd9-ZYGxo0&u=/watch%3Fv%3DJSgRTPGYEQA%26feature%3Dem-share_video_user>by Martin Newell <http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=QOd9-ZYGxo0&u=/user/MartinNewellCA%3Ffeature%3Dem-share_video_user>

Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder, Throttle, Flaps, Retracts, Navigation lights, Cannons
1:96 Scale, 4.6" Wingspan, 3 grams
Jan 1, 2015. Many thanks to all of you who have made such nice, appreciative comments. I'll try to address some of the questions that have been raised.

The most frequent question seems to be about its flying capabilities, and the request for a video. I can assure you it has flown a number of times, sometimes quite well, and witnessed by probably a dozen people, including some of the major names in micro model aviation. However, it is not consistent. On the one hand it has done ROGs (Rise Off Grounds), wheels up, flown around, fired machine guns, flaps down, wheels down,                                                 landed, and taxied back to the flight line. Other times I just can't get it into the air. Hand launches have been more consistent than ROGs, but the first few tenths of a second are critical. If I can get past an initial tip stall then it flies well. On the several occasions when I have prepared for making a video it has not flown successfully. Maybe pilot nerves. I am planning to make more flight attempts, and will try again to get a video. On the other hand the precursor, a four channel Spitfire, flies extremely consistently, with reliable ROGs and many flights, but it is much lighter.

Someone asked if the flaps make much difference - I believe they do allow it to fly a little slower, which is good, because with the flaps up it has to fly very fast or it goes unstable. Another question was flight times. I have never flown it until the battery caused it to come down, but I believe four or five minutes is about the limit.

There have been questions about construction details. Last year I wrote a couple of papers about the internals. These were combined into a single paper for Model Aviation magazine, and were published in the October 2014 issue. I have now put the original papers onto my website athttp://mnewell.rchomepage.com/Techniques/Warbirds_at_1-100_Scale_Part_1.pdf <http://mnewell.rchomepage.com/Techniques/Warbirds_at_1-100_Scale_Part_1.pdf>and http://mnewell.rchomepage.com/Techniques/Warbirds_at_1-100_Scale_Part_2.pdf <http://mnewell.rchomepage.com/Techniques/Warbirds_at_1-100_Scale_Part_2.pdf>

Another recurring question has been whether these planes are available for sale. I'm afraid not, at least, not from me. If I did offer them for sale nobody would pay what I would ask. Each of these planes took me about a year to develop and complete. While making a copy would be much quicker there is still a huge amount of work involved.

Martin

Help center <http://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en> • Email options <http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=QOd9-ZYGxo0&u=/account_notifications%3Ffeature%3Dem-share_video_user> • Report spam <http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=QOd9-ZYGxo0&u=/email_spam%3Fv%3D1a%26c%3D09XuTNxDWOqzbU28kXhIDQwML6Mu9aePKLZzHfohZCcyOZA19DphMCFz0WuznVd4Zk0Gzfyih1lzyH5V4Whr7SD_fP8Ftz7pdoFr74IwLbUgQ37xTBHPGqhSW1kSaLN4DY4yfeuBoNXG434zw1TTiwKWwblvtc2tc_kQi-s1lewKtWp7x28u6VwgUonhmYhc>

©2015 YouTube, LLC 901 Cherry Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066