[AlaskaRC] Fwd: STMT: AMA Applauds Alaska's Drone Operator Safety and Privacy Guidelines

Steve Colligan scolligan at e-terra.com
Mon Nov 16 11:34:57 AKST 2015

Please Distribute

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: *November 16, 2015

*CONTACT: *Allison Haley­­, media at modelaircraft.org, (202) 777-3509

*AMA APPLAUDS ALASKA’S DRONE OPERATOR SAFETY AND PRIVACY GUIDELINES*

*MUNCIE, Ind.* – *Dave Mathewson, executive director of the Academy of
Model Aeronautics (AMA), today made the following statement on **Alaska’s
drone operator safety and privacy guidelines* <http://www.alaskadrones.org/>*,
released by the Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Legislative Task Force: *

“We applaud Alaska’s UAS Legislative Task Force for taking a comprehensive
approach to its safety and privacy guidelines that builds off existing
federal and state laws, as well as the experience of the organized hobbyist
community. AMA has been represented on the task force since its inception
and provided input as the committee offered legislation and policy
recommendations for UAS operations.

“Throughout the years, AMA has a long history working with Alaska
policymakers to educate the public about safety guidelines and best
practices for recreational flyers. Last year, the state legislature
recognized AMA as an official community-based organization and our central
role in helping to educate this community about safe and responsible use of
UAS.

“Since 1936, AMA and its members have been committed to safety. AMA members
already follow a strict privacy policy that prohibits model aircraft from
aerial surveillance and capturing images where there is a reasonable
expectation of privacy. In addition, our members follow AMA’s National
Model Aircraft Safety Code, which was used as a model for Alaska’s new
guidelines.

“Education is critical. That’s why AMA, along with the unmanned aircraft
industry and the FAA, launched the ‘Know Before You Fly
<http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/>’ campaign last year to ensure that newcomers
to UAS technology have the safety information they need before taking to
the skies. We were honored when the state of Alaska joined
<http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/2015/11/the-state-of-alaska-joins-know-before-you-fly/>
as a supporter earlier this month. Alaska’s commitment to helping all UAS
users fly safely aligns perfectly with the mission of the campaign and we
look forward to continuing our work together.”

# # #

*The Academy of Model Aeronautics, founded in 1936, continues to be devoted
to national airspace safety. It serves as the nation’s collective voice for
approximately 180,000 modelers in 2,400 clubs in the United States and
Puerto Rico. Headquartered in Muncie, Indiana, AMA is a membership
organization representing those who fly model aircraft for recreation and
educational purposes. For more information, visit **www.modelaircraft.org*
<http://www.modelaircraft.org>*. *

---

This message and any files or text attached to it are intended only for the
recipients named above, and contain information that may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an
intended recipient or have received this message in error, please do not
read, copy, or distribute this communication. Please also notify the sender
by replying to this message, and then delete all copies of it from your
system. Thank you.