[AlaskaRC] Atwood building shaking in the Jan. 24, 2016, M7.1 earthquake

Dirk & Alison atdg588 at acsalaska.net
Tue Apr 5 16:42:31 AKDT 2016

Sort of off topic for a model airplane club but this is some cool animation
of the Atwood building's response to January's earthquake

Hi All:

FYI - Mehmet Celebi (USGS structural engineer) worked with colleagues to
produce a great animation of the shaking of the Atwood building in the
recent M7.1 Iniskin earthquake in Alaska. The video is on youtube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt0m5JWa62w

And on the USGS website at:

http://gallery.usgs.gov <http://gallery.usgs.gov/>

The Atwood building is the second tallest building in the state (20
stories), and I'm told is typical steel frame construction of this sort of
skyscraper, and it is not base isolated. A bit more information on the
building is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_B._Atwood_Building

The structure has extensive strong motion instrumentation throughout the
building, so the animation is from actual data - it's not a model. The
bottom right shows the 'input' seismogram from the base of the building. You
can see the maximum displacement is roughly 30 cm, and note the exaggeration
is 300x. It takes a short bit to get through the intro and the part where
there is not much shaking from the P-wave. It's impressive to me how long
the shaking goes on. Anyway, enjoy.

Cheers, Peter

Peter J. Haeussler
U.S. Geological Survey