[AlaskaRC] Continuing efforts to address UAS registration

Marty Hall mjhall at alaskarcs.com
Mon Jan 25 15:11:49 AKST 2016

From: Academy of Model Aeronautics [mailto:AMA at modelaircraft.org]
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 1:01 PM
To: mjhall at alaskarcs.com
Subject: Continuing efforts to address UAS regsitration

To view this email as a web page, go here.
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=ae6c944558654d3237b35c19261ee1f412158a9801ccbc185c17
7e8202d13baa>

You're receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of
Model Aeronautics.

 spacer <http://image.exct.net/lib/fec815777563057a/m/1/spacer.gif>

Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication

 AMATodayHeaderV2_03b
<http://image.exct.net/lib/fec815777563057a/m/2/AMATodayHeaderV2_03b.png>

 spacer <http://image.exct.net/lib/fec815777563057a/m/1/spacer.gif>

 spacer <http://image.exct.net/lib/fec815777563057a/m/1/spacer.gif>

Monday, January 25, 2016 spacer
<http://image.exct.net/lib/fec815777563057a/m/1/spacer.gif>

 spacer <http://image.exct.net/lib/fec815777563057a/m/1/spacer.gif>

  <http://image.exct.net/lib/ffcf14/m/1/spacer.gif>

Dear Members,

Last month the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced that it would
require owners of model aircraft to register with the agency by February 19.
AMA participated in the task force designed to provide recommendations to
the FAA on the registration of small recreational unmanned aircraft, and we
urged the FAA to exempt AMA members from registration. AMA also recommended
the FAA consider several factors, not just weight, when determining which
model aircraft would need to be registered.

Instead of exempting our community, the FAA created an unnecessary burden
for our more than 188,000 members who have been flying safely for decades.
As you know, AMA members already abide by a voluntary registration system
that fulfills the safety and accountability objectives of the federal
registration system. We made this point very clear to the FAA and other task
force members.

We are exploring all options to alleviate this burden on our members and we
are actively engaged in talks with the FAA.  For now, the requirement is
federal regulation and therefore we must advise all of our members to comply
by the February 19 deadline.

We have an existing petition with the US Court of Appeals regarding FAA's
2014 interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft" and we will
continue our advocacy work in Washington D.C.  Recently, our leadership
brought representatives from the FAA to one of our flying fields to witness
AMA's safety protocols, observe club camaraderie and mentoring, and speak
with AMA members firsthand about their concerns. In addition, this week AMA
staff and the Executive Council will arrive at Capitol Hill to speak to
members of Congress and their staffs about the importance of protecting
model aviation for future generations.

We will continue to work on behalf of our members, but since a solution to
the registration requirement is unlikely by February 19, members should
register at
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=ae6c944558654d32604de81d9f7e1e569d2efa8abe35cbff372a
623e0475e8c0> www.faa.gov/uas/registration . Once registered pilots will
receive a Federal registration number that is to be placed on or within
aircraft over 250 grams (0.55 lbs.).  Members are encouraged to continue
placing their AMA numbers on their aircraft as well.  Members only have to
register once, they do not have to register each unique aircraft.  The FAA
requires registration regardless if you fly a multirotor, helicopter, fixed
wing, or any other type of radio control model aircraft that uses a ground
control system with a communication link, such as a transmitter.  You can
read more in our Frequently Asked Questions at
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=ae6c944558654d3203ca391ccadbec5491d3cf1dcaf2de216867
1d297dc41500> www.modelaircraft.org/gov.

Thank you for your continued support. Together, we can ensure the future of
our hobby.

 spacer <http://image.exct.net/lib/fec815777563057a/m/1/spacer.gif>

C 2016 Academy of Model Aeronautics.
5161 E. Memorial Dr., Muncie IN 47302
Tel.: (800) 435-9262; Fax.: (765) 289-4248
All rights reserved.

<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=ae6c944558654d32223c7bb9c5876cf0422ef18a3529a8d91a28
eb568557894a> https://www.facebook.com/modelaviation
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=ae6c944558654d32773aa5cfadb15f1a64cd508f2a0bb5f81e10
123f9c65f1b8> https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelaircraft/
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=ae6c944558654d320d41ba55cebcb70543f20eb4fcc817c43cd2
c73b3d642c76> http://www.modelaircraft.org/rss.aspx?feeds=news
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=216cac2449124c68db330dcb57aa7c56154b77df69a6ef28bb61
443a68a875a7> https://twitter.com/modelaircraft
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=216cac2449124c689be9b90187f043f0153a00192645a938b8d3
073c0cad6ae0> https://www.youtube.com/user/modelaircraft

<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=216cac2449124c68a5a2e621a486bd14906e6cde2b5570a55ee2
49bd742130be> www.modelaircraft.org

 spacer <http://image.exct.net/lib/fec815777563057a/m/1/spacer.gif>

For problems with this email please contact
<mailto:marketing at modelaircraft.org?subject=Newsletter%20Comment>
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=216cac2449124c685c0c86be9194658b353389aa8994c6394ecf
8b1176231db0> HERE.

This email was sent to: mjhall at alaskarcs.com

This email was sent by: Academy of Model Aeronautics
5161 E. Memorial Dr. Muncie, IN 47302 USA

We respect your right to privacy - view our policy
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=216cac2449124c68e63cc45e83658fc77030f160f5637f4dbaa0
b7e35d6050a7>

Manage Subscriptions
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=216cac2449124c681dfea2804b43883d57438114cb67ad13be93
5a658de1d48c>  | Update Profile
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=216cac2449124c68fcbf197abb5f8e2ccec7301b979b9b16e9e1
0f4a426ed56e>  | One-Click Unsubscribe
<http://cl.exct.net/?qs=216cac2449124c684765bab27f0b0829d32ed40e64f64e865080
0636d9f6bddb>

<http://cl.exct.net/open.aspx?ffcb10-fe561270756302787c1c-fdbc157171630c7970
17797d65-fec815777563057a-fe8b13737d6c067d7d-fe33177675670d7d711473-ffcf14&d
=10054>

---