[AlaskaRC] Beginner lessons

Frederick Pennington fr3der1ckiv at gmail.com
Mon May 14 13:46:21 AKDT 2018

Hey Amy,
The first questions is what kind of drone pilot? Racing, photography, fun,
commercial/full FAA drone license? The club has some super smart guys that
could help, depending on what you want to do with your drone. If you are
interesting in flying for fun, join the Academy of Model Aeronautics
<http://www.modelaircraft.org/> Our club flys during the school year at
Teeland Middle School in Wasilla on fridays and fly assortment of planes,
drones, and helicopters. During the summer months we are usually flying
bigger stuff at the field out point mac, south of Wasilla. If you are
looking to make money or pursue the new FAA part 107 license
<https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/part_107/remote_pilot_cert/> I
don't know of anyone who has gone through it yet but someone else in the
club might.
Also there is a drone racing league <http://www.3glp.net/akdrl/> that would
be a good place to get some instruction/ask questions.
Are you flying anything now? If not check out some of the micro drones,
100mm or less, great to learn around the house and nearly indestructible.

Hope that helps and let us know if you need anything else.

Derrick Pennington