[AlaskaRC] September Meeting ID

Don Fuller dfuller995 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 11:32:51 AKDT 2023

Our September meeting is scheduled for the 5th at 7:30pm. Here is the link
for the meeting online. https://meet.google.com/xph-pbbq-woh

Thank You all that have contributed to the road improvement fund. My last
update on this fund is we now have over $1200.00 donated to this effort.

Jim Sharp has been looking into options for us to consider: Here is his
email to me.

"Hi Don,
I got to Groeschel Field on Wednesday. You'll see a nail with flagging
every 200' to keep track of where gravel is needed. The stationing begins
at the center line of Guernsey Rd (0+00) and ends at the flying field
parking area (20+80). The access road is 2,030'.

I have estimated three quantities for gravel surfacing material (it should
be at least 1" minus with no clay):

1.  Full upgrade to cover entire road with 2" of gravel plus some extra for
the low spots = 120 cy

2.  Cover soft areas, plus low spots and ruts = 50 cy

3.  Just cover low spots and ruts = 20cy

The low spots and ruts need 20 cy and the soft areas need 30 cy.  We should
do #3 for sure and #2 that is 30 cy more would make the road pretty good. I
don't think geotextile (Typar) is a good idea with only 2" of cover. There
are about 300' of low spots where there might be enough cover and soft
material to consider separating it with geotextile.

I have a record of stations of the areas I consider needing attention.  I
leave it up to you who to distribute this into to.
Jim"

Anyone wishing to contribute suggestions or has any relationships with
gravel pits that might help us with this task are certainly welcome to
provide feed back and info. I will attempt to get some budget pricing for
loads delivered to the field before our September meeting.
My feeling at this time is shoot for option 2, just off the top of my head
I suspect this to be at or around $2000.00 so we need a little more in the
fund.

President
Don Fuller