[AlaskaRC] FAA looking at possibly regulating model aircraft

Patrick Martin n411x at hotmail.com
Wed May 13 12:23:05 AKDT 2009

Tom,

   After looking at the information I found this.

***************
3. Model Aircraft Not Operated in Accordance with
Accepted Set of Standards !
3.1 Applicability !
The following general requirements and limitations apply to Model Aircraft which are not
operated in accordance with an FAA accepted set of standards, but are operated by hobbyists
for the sole purpose of sport, recreation, and/or competition.......
***************

Above that section is the portion that referrs to the AMA, such as:
***********
2. Model Aircraft Operated in Accordance with
FAA Accepted Standards
2.1 Applicability
Model Aircraft operations that are conducted in accordance with an FAA accepted set of
standards established and administered by a community based association as discussed in
Section 2.2, shall otherwise be exempt from the requirements of any Special Federal
Airworthiness Regulation (SFAR) that results from this recommendation as long as they are
operated by:
• Hobbyist for the sole purpose of sport, recreation and/or competition under the
conditions of such an FAA accepted program
• Manufacturers which are flight testing aircraft intended to be operated for the sole
purpose of sport, recreation, and/or competition and they are tested at an approved
field as defined by and in accordance with an FAA accepted program with the
approval of the community-based association responsible for the location
• Educational institutions and/or students for the sole purpose of education or research
and they are operated at an approved field as defined by and in accordance with an
FAA accepted program with the approval of the community-based association
responsible for the location
• Manufacturers which are flight testing aircraft intended to be operated for other than
sport, recreation, and/or competition and they are tested at an approved field as
defined by and in accordance with an FAA accepted program with the approval of the
community-based association responsible for the location
RATIONALE: Reflects FAA’s concept of regulating model aviation by
exempting Model Aircraft from regulation. Under this approach, modelers
participating within an aeromodeling structure/organization such as the
Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) may operate their Model Aircraft
in accordance with an accepted set of standards and operating
procedures. Based on a more rigorous attention to safety, risk assessment,
and risk mitigation, the accepted standards may provide greater latitude
in the Model Aircraft operations. Modelers not participating in the
additional safety programming established in an accepted set of standards
shall comply with the requirements of Section 3.

Of course, this is my first look at this NPRM, if it is a notice at all. From knowledge of how the FAA writes things, it always says you canNOT do anything unles, "A,B,C.. etc". So in my very quick initial look at this, it may appear that they are saying unless you operate under the guise and rules of the AMA, you may not fly turbines. There are some other little bits of language there that reek of massive regulation and red tape and unsustainable compliance that may threaten all civil model airplane activity. Don't be scared for turbines. No. Be scared for model aviation! We do not want any of this. We've seen before that rules generated, from people with ZERO experience in the area they try to regulate, lead to nothing but disfunctionality.

I'd love to think the AMA is all over this. It seems they are in some ways, with their name plastered all over this. But I'm certainly